When we say "ultra low-maintenance" furniture, we mean exactly that...so you can spend more time for relaxing and enjoying the outdoors.
Our products are built to handle years of weathering and whatever mother nature throws at them. The guidelines below help keep your products looking their best all year long!
As the season starts - time to wash away the winter blues. Give your Highwood lumber a scrub as follows:
- Fill a bucket with hot water and dish soap
- Use a rag and the soapy water to wipe the surfaces clean of dirt
- For any dirt that remains in the wood-grain (NatureTEX) surface, use a soft bristle brush
- Rinse with fresh, clean water
- For a deeper clean – to really get grime and surface contaminants out of the NatureTEX grooves and cut edges of the lumber, use a power washer with a medium nozzle setting
For a quick clean
- You may use most common household water-based cleaners (Windex, 409, Murphy’s Oil Soap, Simple Green, etc.).
- If your cleaning product is not in this list, simply test it on a hidden area
- DO NOT use cleaners that contain aromatic solvents
If the synthetic wood on your product gets scratched or chipped during use, it can often be easily repaired.
- Use a very fine grade of steel wool (0000 grade) to “sand” the scratched area
- Rub the steel wool in the same direction that the embossing pattern runs.
- Apply just enough pressure to gradually minimize the scratched area.
- The surface may become dull and possibly even lighter in color as you do this (this is normal)
- To finish the repair – apply furniture polish or carnauba wax and buff to a finish
- If the scratch is still evident, repeat steps 1-5
- This area may appear a little doctored – however it will weather and blend in over time
CLEANING CUSHIONS & FABRICS
The cushions and pillows available in our brands are made to the highest quality and are designed for outdoor use – however, we do recommend storing them through the winter months.
- Keep the fabrics clean by brushing off any dirt on the surface with a soft bristle brush.
- Immediately treat any stains on the fabric with a warm water and dish soap mixture using a soft bristle brush in a circular motion. Rinse the area thoroughly with fresh water and stand the cushion or pillow on its side. Let the breeze dry the fabric thoroughly before storing.
- Hand wash removable covers with lukewarm water and a dish soap mixture. Soak for 10 minutes and scrub with a soft brush. Note: Avoid hard brushes or excessive scrubbing as this may damage the finish.
- Rinse the fabric thoroughly and hang to air dry. Never use heat sources for drying.
MAINTAINING CUSHIONS & PILLOWS
- Place cushions vertically to better let water out on rainy days. Store cushions indoors in continuous rainy periods or covering when not in use is recommended.
- For reversible cushions, turn them over once a week to even out the wear on each side
- Occasionally fluff cushions and pillows to maintain shape.
For a detailed list of cleaning instructions (including for wine spills, ketchup, sunscreen, etc) view this PDF by clicking HERE.